Pro-life Americans have been marching for life in the nation’s Capitol for 50 years–since the U.S. Supreme Court legalized abortion in Roe v. Wade. This year’s march is truly historic as it is the first march since Roe was overturned, and the power to decide abortion policy was rightly returned to the people and their elected representatives.
Now Congress and every state in the nation hold the power to influence and change abortion policy to protect the preborn.
This year’s March for Life reflects the new circumstances the pro-life movement faces. In the past, attendees would march to the U.S. Supreme Court, calling for Roe’s reversal and restoration of Constitutional order. This year, on January 20th, participants will march to the “new front in the battle for life” at the United States Capitol.
The theme for this year’s march is “Next Steps.” Organizers of the march say that the event will honor all those that have gone before them to advocate for life and “present the strategic plan for building a culture of life.”
We Are Messengers will be performing a pre-rally concert beginning at 11:00 am ET.
The rally will start at 12:00 pm ET.
The outstanding line-up of speakers includes:
- Jonathan Roumie, best known for his award-winning role as ‘Jesus’ in the groundbreaking series, THE CHOSEN, a drama about the life of Jesus Christ.
- Coach Tony Dungy, New York Times bestselling author and Pro-Football Hall of Famer
- Franklin Graham, American Evangelist and Missionary
- Mississippi Attorney General Lynn Fitch, who won the Dobbs Supreme Court case that overturned Roe v. Wade
- House Majority Leader Steve Scalise
- Congressman Christopher H. Smith, Co-Chair of the Congressional Pro-Life Caucus
- Dr. Christina Francis, CEO-Elect of AAPLOG
- Gina Tomes, Director of the Bethlehem House Maternity Home
- Sister Mary Casey, Sisters of Life
- Casey Gunning, teacher’s assistant and lifelong athlete in the Special Olympics
The march to the United States Capitol Building is expected to start at 1:00 pm ET.
Robyn Chambers, Executive Director of Advocacy for Children at Focus on the Family, is leading a delegation of pro-life advocates from Focus on the Family to the march.
She told the Daily Citizen what motivates her to keep marching, “On June 24th, 2022, our prayers for the last 50 years were answered. Roe was overturned, and it is a privilege for Focus on the Family to be at this most historic March for Life. However, our work has just begun. Abortion didn’t go away, and the march this year is a way to stand together in our fight to protect women and their children!”
Pro-life friends who live near Washington, D.C., are encouraged to attend! To learn more about what’s happening for in-person attendees, click on this list of events for the day and the new marching route.
Friends who live further away can participate online! The pre-rally concert and rally will be live-streamed beginning at 11:00 am ET on Friday, January 20th, 2023. Click here to watch the event live online.
Cheers to taking the “Next Steps” in building a pro-life America as we March for Life!
Photo from Getty.