Matt Walsh’s provocative documentary, What Is a Woman?, aired online at The Daily Wire on June 1, in what the political commentator and podcast host said was “an all-out assault on gender ideology.”
It’s an ideology that uses the language of “boys and girls” and “men and women,” but can’t define what any of those are.
Walsh used thoughtful questions and humor – there are some laugh-out-loud moments – to point out the fallacies behind “gender theory.”
But even the humor has a disturbing edge, when you realize how pervasive this post-modern belief system is, how far away from the truth, and how many are in its grip.
As one of my sons said, “It was funny until you realized how sad it was.”
What Is a Woman? is intense, with moments of deep pathos, as when it showed the devastating damage to individuals and families – the direct result of gender theories that are completely disconnected from reality and truth.
Ideas have consequences.
I’ve been researching and writing about transgender issues for a long time, and even though I was familiar with many of the stories told and the truths articulated, I found the film gut-wrenching at times and deeply thought provoking.
I’d written about some of these people, but it’s different watching them tell their stories onscreen. The documentary is not for the faint of heart.
One devastating testimony came from a Canadian father who “misgendered” his 13-year-old daughter. He was imprisoned for the offense. A Canadian court mandated male hormones for the young girl, over his objections.
Another poignant story was told by a woman who had hormones and surgeries to “transition into” a man. Scott Newgent’s body, health, finances and family have been devastated by surgeries and synthetic hormones.
Here are some other the highlights (and lowlights) that stood out to me.
- “Truth” doesn’t exist for people who’ve bought into gender identity – except “your truth.”
- When asked, “What is a woman?”, people can’t say, are afraid to say, or don’t know how to answer the question.
- Many gender dogmatists are angry and defensive about being asked simple questions about their beliefs – even ones they’ve seen before the on-camera interview.
- For many, “a woman” is however someone identifies. But what is it they are identifying as? Evidently “woman” is different for everyone and can’t be defined.
- Smiling and exuberant, therapist Gert Comfrey explained to Walsh that gender is assigned at birth by doctors. “We know now that sex and gender are so much more than just this binary. Some women have penises, some men have vaginas,” she explained.
- Marci L. Bowers, “a woman with a transgender history,” described vaginoplasty, surgically using a male’s penis in an attempt to “make him a vagina,” but admitted that what is surgically created only functions like female anatomy “for the most part,” adding, “I mean, certainly it’s a bit of a Faustian bargain, you know, it’s not perfect.”
- Astonishingly, Bowers told Walsh about performing this procedure on a 16-year-old boy.
- The film included an individual who said, “I am a 27-year-old transgender woman. I am a wolf therian and member of the furry fandom.” A “therianthrope,” or “therian,” for short, is someone who identifies as an animal.
Walsh demonstrated how widespread this dogma is – in schools, entertainment, social media and the medical world.
But Africans he interviewed are blissfully ignorant of all this and see it for the nonsense it is.
Thankfully, What Is a Woman? has some good folks who are speaking the truth about this false ideology, including Walsh, himself. Dr. Miriam Grossman is an author and psychologist who explains the roots of gender ideology and its devastating impact on children.
Jordan Peterson, a clinical psychologist and author, spoke out against the state forcing people to use language they didn’t agree with and against the physical mutilation of children.
Carl Trueman, author of The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self, said transgenderism is a result of a culture that lauds “expressive individualism.” He said we must find a better way to help people with sexual identity confusion, offering healing and hope for individuals who hate their embodied masculinity or femininity and covet becoming the opposite sex.
Gender activists felt so threatened by the documentary that they used a cyberattack on The Daily Wire’s website to keep people from watching the film.
What Is a Woman? (adult and sensitive content) is available for subscribers at The Daily Wire.
Related articles and resources:
Photo from Facebook.